Welcome to MakerHome




We've completed our yearlong print-a-day project!
All new material is now at Hacktastic: www.mathgrrl.com


Friday, June 20, 2014

Day 298 - Friday Fail: Down but not out - also come see me July 2 in NYC!

Still trying to pack up 14 years of house and move it to a Brooklyn apartment, and that is taking pretty much all my time these days. Since I seem to be a failure expert I will try to practice the number one rule about failure: that it is a temporary condition. I will get back to the blog soon, and fill in the missing posts before this one.

In the meantime, if you live in the NYC area, you might be interested in my Math Encounters talk about mathematical 3D printing at MoMath, the Museum of Mathematics, on July 2. That's just one day after we move so I'll probably be very well-rested and give an excellent talk, right?

If you come to the talk please introduce yourself to me afterwards; I'd love to meet people from the area who are interested in 3D printing. Here are the links to register for the event; it's free but you have to register before it fills up:

“Making Mathematics Real: Knot Theory, Experimental Mathematics, and 3D Printing” July 2 at 4:00 PM

“Making Mathematics Real: Knot Theory, Experimental Mathematics, and 3D Printing” July 2 at 6:30 PM


Notice the giant 10_125 knot from Day 11 featured on the poster! And that Jennifer Lawton, President of MakerBot, will also be speaking!

Also yes, I did print something today: A tiny version of vertox's beautifully curved Shy-light. I don't intend to put a light in this one; I just wanted to be able to see and feel the shape so I could understand it a little better. Here is the view from underneath:


Thingiverse link: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:82143

Settings: Printed on a MakerBot Replicator 2 with translucent filament at 30% scale, on .3mm/low with a raft, on blue painter's tape on a glass build plate, in just 14 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment